The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bob Gainey

I don't know if this will be locked, but i'll write it anyways. Bob Gainey was a great player, and is known to be a great GM. But is it time we stop cutting him some slack? With everything he does or doesn't do, even if it seems dumb, we say that he knows what he is doing. All of his decisions having become sacred, as if whatever he does is the best, and that we have no right doubting him. this past weekend, I sat in front of my TV and computer, watching the news about all the signatures pour in. Every article brought more dissapointment. But I kept my hopes high, he's gonna get Arnott. Then this morning I go on TSN.ca and guess what...

I don't kno wwhat Bob is doing and what he has in mind. All I know is that I am begining to get impatient. He hasn't done a thing to improve a single part of this team. His only meaningful trade this year was a swap of goalies. I'm tired of saying that "Bob knows what he's doing." I am afraid the Habs may be in some trouble next year...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NBHab

I'm not sure this is bashing. I too want great players to come to Montreal and I too wonder how some crap team like the leafs could get Kubina and the Bruins Chara and Savard and the Habs get nothing. I don't pretend to know what's going on but I wonder why we haven't made a splash. Doesn't mean I dislike Bob Gainey, just means I'm frustrated by not seeing any moves. Soon all the good ones will be gone. You gotta think that having Aeby to dangle would bring something good out. There are a lot of teams that need a good goalie, but two or three of them solved their goalie woes yesterday and Aeby is still a backup for the habs. I'm just eager to see a good acquisition, that's all.

Guest Khadgar

I too would like to see good players come to Montreal. But the guys that were signed were either signed for way too much money or in the case of Elias decided against us.

For the first time in a long time the team is one to two years away from being a contender. Let's not hurt that by making a signing that doesn't make sense.

I'm not so sure this team is even a year or two from being a contender. Call me foolish, but if it had not been for a certain high sticking incident this team could well have dominated the team which ended up winning the Cup. Granted the team doesn't have any 50 goal scorers, but that simply isn't the type of team Gainey has built. That's not necessarily a bad thing IMO. Eatonswall was dead on: great move keeping this team with a lot of young talent together.

Guest Rickkins

I gotta admit, I'm quite disappointed.

It's not rocket science that our beloved habs need goal scorers, and a primo opportunity to acquire some quality goal scorers is slipping through our fingers.

After the way the fans poured money into the club last year, a little more effort does not seem like to much to ask.

It's not rocket science that our beloved habs need goal scorers, and a primo opportunity to acquire some quality goal scorers is slipping through our fingers.

After the way the fans poured money into the club last year, a little more effort does not seem like to much to ask.[/quote:cc5c96604f]

a little more effort? Gainey went after the most sought after UFA in Elias and offered him a monster contract. It's not management's fault he decided to stay in NJ

Guest kevinfansdeshabs

for the power forward, go read the thread of latendresse, news of him

And

Why not a center, go read the thread of ribeiro

Guest Ritcey_#12

After the way the fans poured money into the club last year, a little more effort does not seem like to much to ask.[/quote:293d217844]

a little more effort? Gainey went after the most sought after UFA in Elias and offered him a monster contract. It's not management's fault he decided to stay in NJ[/quote:293d217844]

Yes..But They basicly were saying they had Arnott locked up! Now they let that slide too.... Were not gonna be a competative team with out some players who can get some goals and add to the stats... All i see left is Shanahan(Who is basicly done cause of age) , Samsanov (I doubt we will get him cause he has no interest in Montreal) and Anson Carter (Would be a good grit second liner but is he enough!?)

Guest Come Back Patrick

I don't want to add too much fuel to the fire but we also missed out on getting Tanguay who was traded for absolutely nothing...I'm sure we could have offered a better deal.

First Tanguay, then Elias, now Arnott and tomorrow Shanahan most likely.

The tanguay trade we coulda made a wayyyy better offer and we are in the other confrence. All the freeagents that are gone... I have no words. Yes Buffalo had a not so good on paper team, but we are not like them... Lattendresse is not ready to be a power forward, and Ribiero is not the answer down the middle. I respect Gainey a lot, I just think hes takin a bit too much time. By the end of all thuis frenzy all we might have to show is Eric Daze. Last year all he signed was Dandenault. What we lack is a superstar game changer. We had the chance to add that this summer, and it looks like Gainey missed the boat.

Im just tired of waiting.

Guest Hoser

Refer to my sig (Both the link and the quote) for my justification of Gainey's action.

And yea this is just another plug for my blog :wink:

Guest Eazy_Ryder

I don't think we need goal scorers ...I feel we need one more good playmaker we have Koivu but we need one more we have guys that can pot goals we just need the guy to set them up

Are you kidding me! Another playmaker. Thats what we have had too many of. Good teams like Ottawa etc.. either have a 50 goal scorer, or a couple of 30 goal scorers. We had one 30 goal scorer, and hes not a pure talent. Gainey I believe understands what we need, but for sum reason isn't gettin it. Bouillion is all we have signed since July 1st....

Guest caperns

I have to agree. Our front page shows Francis Boulion a 5th or 6th dee on most teams.

as our big signing.

This was known as the year of the free agent. Gainey himself mentioned about making a big splash on the free agent market this year. More like walk the plank. It seems like a alot of teams did their homework, looked at what they needed and made the right choices.

I think we missed the boat. I just hope he does not try to sign someone now just for the sake of signing. Or have to make a trade and give up the young guys.

It would of been nice to have a fresh face or two to be talking about on the forum, but I don't think Gainey can really be judged by what he's done (or hasn't done) so far until the end of next season. There are still a lot of free agents available, and even if he doesn't go after one of them he still may make a big trade. New Jersey is a team that's probably going to have to make a trade in the very near future because they'll be over the cap. And if he doesn't sign or trade for anyone now maybe he's confident that the team could still do well this season. As a lot of the younger talent matures I think Montreal could have a well-balanced attack. I'm still hoping for a free agent signing or two, or possibly a trade, just to inject some new blood into the team, but we'll all have to wait several months to see the results of Gainey's actions.

Guest V-172

Sorry, but to any fan whos satisfied with BG's inability to get help, i guess you're the same fans who were also satisfied having a mediocre team year after year ( enough with the 15-8 season start already!) enough's enough, the team drew fans to the Bell Centre, it's not like the team had problems drawing fans like the Expos had. The team needs help, and if BG doesnt get help and field the same roster like last years then he is no better that all the previous GM's of this team!

Guest Miltie01
Sorry, but to any fan whos satisfied with BG's inability to get help, i guess you're the same fans who were also satisfied having a mediocre team year after year ( enough with the 15-8 season start already!) enough's enough, the team drew fans to the Bell Centre, it's not like the team had problems drawing fans like the Expos had. The team needs help, and if BG doesnt get help and field the same roster like last years then he is no better that all the previous GM's of this team![/quote:6e080f4fde]

Here I go again

Maybe you and Bob should sit down and compare Stanley Cup rings.

There!!! Don't make me say it again.

Guest Miltie01
Bob got most of his rings as a Player. he has no Rings as a gm IN MONTREAL. He has nothing to show here except for one good trade for Kovalev. As a player and person he deserves all the respect. As a GM with Minnesota and Dallas he deserves all the respect. As GM of the Habs i treat him like a rookie..[/quote:5fde3040b6]

That is why you don't get to hire the GM !!!!

Guest V-172
Sorry, but to any fan whos satisfied with BG's inability to get help, i guess you're the same fans who were also satisfied having a mediocre team year after year ( enough with the 15-8 season start already!) enough's enough, the team drew fans to the Bell Centre, it's not like the team had problems drawing fans like the Expos had. The team needs help, and if BG doesnt get help and field the same roster like last years then he is no better that all the previous GM's of this team![/quote:6733d99165]

Here I go again

Maybe you and Bob should sit down and compare Stanley Cup rings.

There!!! Don't make me say it again.[/quote:6733d99165]

Really? he was a great player, no doubt but he has yet to show me his abilities as GM.

Archived