The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kyle Chipchura...

Guest Mustangpoirier4
I would like hear your points as to why 17 is such a special number? Is it because of Kostopoulos, might wear the 28? Or is it because Kyle has had great success with his 17(Calder Cup + World Junior Champion + WHL). Either number for Kyle would be fine for me...I just want to hear your arguments to compate.

3024576173.jpg190422089.jpg180px-Nov20ChipDow107_sm.jpg7f72599f554f0856628266cff2af79aa.300.jpg

lol well i really liked this guy the first time i saw him play, in the wj in vancouver as captain of team canada, wearing number 17, and i guess he's done great in hamilton and in the juniors with number 17 so why not give him the number that he has always had, its like higgins they gave him 88 but he always wore 21, and thats why 21 suites him better than 88, canadiens always give numbers to players and since there are so many numbers retied there arn't that many good ones left, ya tom will proably take 28 who knows but i would love to see chipchura with 17 in our canadiens jersey

Guest Greek Hab
lol well i really liked this guy the first time i saw him play, in the wj in vancouver as captain of team canada, wearing number 17, and i guess he's done great in hamilton and in the juniors with number 17 so why not give him the number that he has always had, its like higgins they gave him 88 but he always wore 21, and thats why 21 suites him better than 88, canadiens always give numbers to players and since there are so many numbers retied there arn't that many good ones left, ya tom will proably take 28 who knows but i would love to see chipchura with 17 in our canadiens jersey

I'm happy with those points. Give Kyle 17 Bob! No one else is wearing it now!

Eww 88...Lindros.

Guest Mustangpoirier4
I'm happy with those points. Give Kyle 17 Bob! No one else is wearing it now!

Eww 88...Lindros.

lol i know 88 lindros its all i think of when i see a guy wearing that number lol could you imagin higgins with 88 lol hahahaha

Guest Greek Hab

Perhaps when the organization sees Kyle reach his absolute full potential they'll give him a distinctive number. I've read on a few sites that: He's a natural leader who could become a future captain for the Habs. Is a strong, 2-way player. Chipchura is very mature for his age.

Also: Chipchura will likely be a very good 3rd line center in the NHL. Could potentially play on the top lines if he works on his offensive game or if injuries occur.

Our future is definalty looking sweet. With the batch of younger players moving up, this really gives the Habs a fresh look at the type of players that will be filling in the roster spots.

In the years to come, I can see anyone of these players taking on a leadership role:

Higgins

Komisarek

Chipchura

Plekanec

Latendresse

• 2 weeks later...
Guest St. B. Voyageur

After being a +17 in the playoffs last year, I think that this guy is on the steady climb. He was a late cut from camp last year (I think he had a 3pt game centering Higgins and Ryder before being demoted). He has all the tools already to be an NHL pro. There is no reason to send Chipchura back to Hamilton. I'm looking for him to either take the #4 centre position outright and move Lapierre to the wing, or to play with Smolinski on the checking line as a winger. He was the #1 PK guy in Hamilton, so I think he will play a prominent factor here.

I think a lot of people are writing this guy off because of roster spots, but he will earn his way, mark my words.

Chicphura was 1st rd pick, team Canada junior captain, and playoff hero last year. I'm looking forward to the WHL grit he will add to this team.

Chipchura doesn't need any more development, he needs to play with the pros now. If the club is going to send anybody down for development it should be Latendresse so that he can emerge as a genuine 1st/2nd line power forward.

Guest 1970 Habs
After being a +17 in the playoffs last year, I think that this guy is on the steady climb. He was a late cut from camp last year (I think he had a 3pt game centering Higgins and Ryder before being demoted). He has all the tools already to be an NHL pro. There is no reason to send Chipchura back to Hamilton. I'm looking for him to either take the #4 centre position outright and move Lapierre to the wing, or to play with Smolinski on the checking line as a winger. He was the #1 PK guy in Hamilton, so I think he will play a prominent factor here.

I am not sure if he will get a full roster spot but I like the idea of moving Lapierre to the wing with his speed. I believe with his first call up last year Lapierre played the wing. This move would create some space at centre.

Guest Anetéchrist
I am not sure if he will get a full roster spot but I like the idea of moving Lapierre to the wing with his speed. I believe with his first call up last year Lapierre played the wing. This move would create some space at centre.

It certainly could happen. However, playing the center position will ultimately be decided by who is best in the faceoff circle between the two of them. I too think Chipchura will end up center of the 4th line very soon, Gainey seems to like him enough already.

The clock is ticking for our good Steve Bégin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jennifer_rocket

Man o' man. Can anyone else see this guy being the type of player who absolutely shuts-down an opposing team's star, in like... 2 or 3 NHL seasons?

Guest futurestar3

I think a lot of people are writing this guy off because of roster spots, but he will earn his way, mark my words.

Chicphura was 1st rd pick, team Canada junior captain, and playoff hero last year. I'm looking forward to the WHL grit he will add to this team.

Chipchura doesn't need any more development, he needs to play with the pros now. If the club is going to send anybody down for development it should be Latendresse so that he can emerge as a genuine 1st/2nd line power forward.

thank you, ive been saying this forever and finally someone agrees we need a awesome checking line to be sucessful just like anaheim and wouldnt this be a great checking line

chipchura-smolinski-lappierre

and dont say anything about putting streit or laht or kostopolous, they cant hit and we need people who can hit

Man o' man. Can anyone else see this guy being the type of player who absolutely shuts-down an opposing team's star, in like... 2 or 3 NHL seasons?

amen, it could even be this year

Guest s.k 11
Well, we all know he is defensively awesome, but I do believe his time in the AHL is building up his offensive game, this Video shows you a glimmer of that.

What a goal by chipchura.

Guest jennifer_rocket
thank you, ive been saying this forever and finally someone agrees we need a awesome checking line to be sucessful just like anaheim and wouldnt this be a great checking line

chipchura-smolinski-lappierre

and dont say anything about putting streit or laht or kostopolous, they cant hit and we need people who can hit

amen, it could even be this year

I also would like to see that line this year. Not only for Chipchura's benefit, but because Lapierre needs to learn Smolinski's game too. We all know he can aggrevate, but can he play solid defensive hockey? Lapierre and Chipchura learn from Smolinski, then the reigns get passed off. Heck, who knows, maybe Smolinski even comes back next season to bolster the lineup...?

Guest PrimusPilus
I'm looking forward to chipchura taking the 3rd lline centre duty next season. ;)

Kyle is our shutdown centreman of the future, of that there is no doubt. I was able to see an awful lot of Bulldogs' games over the last few years, since I'm only 20 minutes from Hamilton, and Chips is the real deal. I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that Kyle will be on the roster next year and that he will be taking over the checking line center duties. He has continued to improve his offensive abilities, but don't expect him to be lighting up the nets any time soon, or for his career for that matter. Since I'm old enough to remember, he reminds me of Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau all rolled into one. This kid is our future captain, the reins will be handed from Koivu to Kyle. He'll show up at camp hungry, and he'll impress, good luck Kyle.

Guest 1970 Habs

I can see a comparison with Mr. Gainey as he developed his offensive side of the game as he matured in the league. However, if my memory serves me correctly I believe Carboneau was more of an offensive player in junior and he was converted to a defensive forward in the Montreal system.

Guest PrimusPilus
I would really like to see this guy get a legit shot at cracking our starting lineup, but we're so jammed up with forwards that I can't see it happening. Most likely Chippy will ride pine until someone gets injured.

Although I'm not as entirely convinced as you are about the log jam of forwards, I understand what you are saying. We currently have 14 forwards (including Chipchura) under contract for the upcoming season. 4 lines times 3 players = 12 with two to rotate in and out. I believe that even though Kyle may not earn a starting job right out of the gate, he will have a full time position with this club before mid-season. i like the idea of having a couple of extra forwards, it tells everyone at camp that no spot is guarranteed. You (meaning the players) are going to have to earn your spot on the team which should translate into a stronger work ethic for the season as the players know there will be somebody hungry coming after them if they do not perform.

I can see a comparison with Mr. Gainey as he developed his offensive side of the game as he matured in the league. However, if my memory serves me correctly I believe Carboneau was more of an offensive player in junior and he was converted to a defensive forward in the Montreal system.

You're right. In fact didn't he break some sort of scoring record in the juniors? I know he had a 182 point, 72 goal season with the Saguenéens.

Although I'm not as entirely convinced as you are about the log jam of forwards, I understand what you are saying. We currently have 14 forwards (including Chipchura) under contract for the upcoming season. 4 lines times 3 players = 12 with two to rotate in and out. I believe that even though Kyle may not earn a starting job right out of the gate, he will have a full time position with this club before mid-season. i like the idea of having a couple of extra forwards, it tells everyone at camp that no spot is guarranteed. You (meaning the players) are going to have to earn your spot on the team which should translate into a stronger work ethic for the season as the players know there will be somebody hungry coming after them if they do not perform.

I agree with you entirely in theory. Let's hope theory becomes practice at training camp! :)

Guest Bobineau

14? How'd you come up with that?

9 have one way NHL contracts while at least 9 others have 2 way contracts.

Guest jennifer_rocket
14? How'd you come up with that?

9 have one way NHL contracts while at least 9 others have 2 way contracts.

14 forwards...? Ugh... Let's see:

Saku Koivu

Alexei Kovalev

Michael Ryder

Christopher Higgins

Tomas Plekanec

Steve Begin

Garth Murray

Tom Kostopoulos

Andrei Kostitsyn

Mark Streit (potentially)

Bryan Smolinski

Max Lapierre

Guillame Latendresse

That's at least 12 confirmed forwards (if Streit plays D). Potential for the other 2 rotating spots are Grabvosky, Lahti, and Chipchura. Go Chipchura!

And Grabovsky, of course!

Guest St. B. Voyageur

I think he will pass Lapierre on the depth chart in camp...Penalty killing after losing Bonk, and Johnson is something we will be looking for and something Chipchura already excels at. Put him out on the ice with Smolinski on the PK, and we have potential. Can not wait to see this guy in a Habs jersey...Fans are going to love his work ethic...Hopefully he isn't given a hard time because he doesn't speak French...

Archived